This is the first in a series of 4 assignments on the same topic, due in Weeks 2, 5, 8, and 10. The assignments build upon each other.
Assume you are an investigative reporter for a major publication (magazine or newspaper) who has been assigned to research important ethnic, racial, gender, or class issues that are evidencing problems and affecting people in a local area, workplace, or specific part of the world. Your goal is to provide an in-depth analysis of and put a human face on the issue, the problems being evidenced, and proposed changes to bring about improvement for those affected. You will report your analysis in a series of articles that the editor plans to publish in two major parts.The breakdown of the assignments for this series of articles is as follows:
- Week 2: The Topic, Rationale, and Annotated Source List assignment requires you to conduct preliminary research and select one topic area for the series. Please review this video for instructions on how to format an Annotated Bibliography.
- Week 5: The History, Current Issues With Proposed Changes assignment includes Part 1 of the published article that will focus on the history, current issues, and proposed changes. This is due in Week 5.
- Week 8: The Challenges and Benefits to the Proposal assignment includes Part 2 of the published article that will focus on the benefits and challenges of the proposed changes as well as any responses to the challenges you encounter in your research. This is due in Week 8.
- Week 10: The Summary of Issues and Proposed Changes will include revisions to Part 1 and 2 and require you to provide a summary in a presentation for a meeting of the National Association of Journalists. This is due in Week 10.
Choose one of the following topics to use for all of the assignments listed above.
African American equality issues in the U.S.
Arab American equality issues in the U.S.
Asian American equality issues in the U.S.
Assimilation and pluralism in the U.S.
Ethnicity and racial identity issues in the U.S.
Ethnicity and racial issues in Brazil or South Africa
Ethnicity, racial, or language issues in Canada
Gender equality issues in a specific region (another country outside of the U.S.)
Gender equality issues in the U.S. (or specific workplace)
Gender inclusion and personal identity (global perspective)
Hispanic American equality issues in the U.S.
Immigration issues in the U.S.
Jewish American equality issues in the U.S.
Native American equality issues in the U.S.
Social class issues in the U.S.
White ethnic American equality issues in the U.S.
Write a 2–3 pages in which you:
- Identify one topic area you would like to research for the series of articles. The topic area selected should involve problems for those affected.
- Provide a rationale with three reasons for selecting the topic area.
- Include an annotated source list of five credible, reliable sources for the selected topic area. A sample annotated source list [PDF] has been provided for your reference.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Evaluate resources and rationale for a selected topic about issues and problems concerning class, ethnicity, gender, or race to explore the impact of inequity on cultural groups.