Solved by a verified expert:CRITICAL
THINKING QUESTIONS Chap. 5
12. What is the overall purpose of the light reactions in
13. Why are carnivores, such as lions, dependent on
photosynthesis to survive?
14. Describe the pathway of energy in light dependent
15. Which part of the Calvin cycle would be affected if a
cell could not produce the enzyme RuBisCO?
16. Explain the reciprocal nature of the net chemical
reactions for photosynthesis and respiration.
QUESTIONS Chap. 6
12. Compare and contrast a human somatic cell to a human
13. Describe the similarities and differences between the
cytokinesis mechanisms found in animal cells versus those in plant cells.
14. Outline the steps that lead to a cell becoming
15. Explain the difference between a proto-oncogene and a
tumor suppressor gene.
16. Name the common components of eukaryotic cell division
and binary fission.
QUESTIONS Chap. 7
12. Explain the advantage that populations of sexually
reproducing organisms have over asexually reproducing organisms?
13. Describe the two events that are common to all sexually
reproducing organisms and how they fit into the different life cycles of those
14. Explain how the random alignment of homologous chromosomes
during metaphase I contributes to variation in gametes produced by meiosis.
15. In what ways is meiosis II similar to and different from
mitosis of a diploid cell?
16. Individuals with trisomy 21 are more likely to survive
to adulthood than individuals with trisomy 18. Based on what you know about
aneuploidies from this module, what can you hypothesize about chromosomes 21
QUESTIONS Chap. 8
14. Describe one of the reasons that made the garden pea an
excellent choice of model system for studying inheritance.
15. Use a Punnett square to predict the offspring in a cross
between a dwarf pea plant (homozygous recessive) and a tall pea plant
(heterozygous). What is the phenotypic ratio of the offspring?
16. Use a Punnett square to predict the offspring in a cross
between a tall pea plant (heterozygous) and a tall pea plant (heterozygous).
What is the genotypic ratio of the offspring?
17. Can a male be a carrier of red-green color blindness?
18. Could an individual with blood type O (genotypeii) be a
legitimate child of parents in which one parent had blood type A and the other
parent had blood type B?