Solved by a verified expert:Blood Typing
Unit III Assessment
Blood typing is critical in medicine. If a person receives the wrong type of blood, they can die. The
purpose of this virtual lab is to allow you to simulate determining three patients blood types. You will then
have to decide what type of blood to give your patients. Good luck; hopefully, you will save lives
1. Determine blood types that blood groups can receive.
Computer with internet access
Go to: Nobelprize.org: Blood Typing http://nobelprize.org/educational_games/medicine/landsteiner/
1. Click on: Play – Proceed – Quick Game
2. Click on Main Menu, and complete the three tutorials.
3. Click on Start Playing. Follow the instructions in the lab to answer the following questions. Select
the patients in order from left to right. You will have to drag the needle to the patients arm and
then put the blood in the tubes to determine the blood type.
4. Type all answers directly on the data sheet.
5. Select Save As, and use your last name and student ID as a file name.
6. Upload the data sheet as a .doc, .docx, or .rtf file when finished.
Questions: Questions 1-10 are short answer questions and should be answered in complete sentences.
Each question is worth 5 points for a total of 50 points.
1. What type of blood does patient 1 have?
2. List ALL blood types that can be given to a patient with the type of blood that patient 1 has.
3. What type of blood does patient 2 have?
4. List ALL blood types that can be given to a patient with the type of blood that patient 2 has.
5. What type of blood does patient 3 have?
6. List ALL blood types that can be given to a patient with the type of blood that patient 3 has.
7. What is the universal blood donor?
8. What is the universal recipient?
9. Can Rh- blood be given to a person with Rh+ blood?
10. Can a person with type O blood receive any other blood type besides type O?