Solved by a verified expert:CRITICAL THINKING
QUESTIONS Chap 9.
12. Describe the
organization of the eukaryotic chromosome.
13. Describe the structure and complementary base pairing of
14. How do the linear chromosomes in eukaryotes ensure that
its ends are replicated completely?
15. Transcribe and translate the following DNA sequence
(nontemplate strand): 5′- ATGGCCGGTTATTAAGCA-3′
16. Describe how controlling gene expression will alter the
overall protein levels in the cell.
QUESTIONS Chap 10.
10. What is the purpose and benefit of the polymerase chain
11. Today, it is possible for a diabetic patient to purchase
human insulin from a pharmacist. What technology makes this possible and why is
it a benefit over how things used to be?
12. Describe two of the applications for genome mapping.
13. Identify a possible advantage and a possible
disadvantage of a genetic test that would identify genes in individuals that
increase their probability of having Alzheimer’s disease later in life.
QUESTIONS Chap 11.
15. If a person scatters a handful of plant seeds from one
species in an area, how would natural selection work in this situation?
16. Explain the Hardy-Weinberg principle of equilibrium.
17. Describe natural selection and give an example of
natural selection at work in a population.
18. Why do scientists consider vestigial structures evidence
19. Why do island chains provide ideal conditions for
adaptive radiation to occur?
20. Two species of fish had recently undergone sympatric
speciation. The males of each species had a different coloring through which
females could identify and choose a partner from her own species. After some
time, pollution made the lake so cloudy it was hard for females to distinguish
colors. What might take place in this situation?
21. How does the scientific meaning of
“theory” differ from the common, everyday meaning of the word?
22. Explain why the statement that a monkey is more evolved
than a mouse is incorrect.
QUESTIONS Chap 12
13. How does a phylogenetic tree indicate major evolutionary
events within a lineage?
14. List the different levels of the taxonomic classification
15. Dolphins and fish have similar body shapes. Is this
feature more likely a homologous or analogous trait?
16. Describe maximum parsimony.
17. How does a biologist determine the polarity of a